Who is entitled to Bürgergeld?

You are entitled to Bürgergeld if you

  • are at least 15 years old, able to work* and in need of assistance**,
  • usually reside in the Federal Republic of Germany,
  • have not yet reached the retirement age of 65 to 67.

* A person is considered fit for work if he/she is able to work at least three hours a day under the usual conditions of the general labour market.

** Anyone who cannot or cannot fully cover their own needs and those of their family members and partners living in the same household from their own resources is in need of assistance.

Children up to the age of 14 receive social benefit if they live in a household with a person in need of assistance who is capable of work.

You are not entitled if you

  • have reached the retirement age limit of 65 to 67 years,
  • receive an old-age pension,
  • have been accommodated in an inpatient facility (e.g. a hospital or therapy centre) for more than six months,
  • are unable to work for more than six months,
  • are entitled to benefits in accordance with § 1 AsylbLG.

If you are in school, university or vocational training, you may have a priority claim to a vocational training allowance (BAB) under the Third Book of the German Social Code (SGB III) or to benefits under the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG). BAB applications can be submitted to the Employment Agency, BAföG applications to the district of Groß-Gerau. There may also be an entitlement to Bürgergeld. The BAB/BAföG income may be offset against this.

If you are not entitled to Bürgergeld, you can check whether you are entitled to benefits under the Twelfth Book of the German Social Code (SGB XII). Please visit the website of the district of Groß-Gerau.